From: Mike Charbonneau [mailto:MCharbonneau@gotriangle.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 1:10 PM
To: ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK; firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>
Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>; Bonnie Hammersley
Subject: D-O LRT Update from FTA
Please see the message below from GoTriangle General Manager Jeff Mann:
Dear Local Leaders,
GoTriangle staff has received a call from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
• In that conversation, the FTA stated that county letters will not be sufficient to satisfy their required additional documentation of the commitment of at least 30 percent of the non-federal funding for Durham and Orange counties’ light rail project.
• Based on that conversation, it has been determined that updated Bus Rail Investment Plans (BRIPs) are required, with approval by Durham and Orange counties, to satisfy the additional documentation requested by the FTA.
• It is necessary for Durham County, Orange County, GoTriangle and the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO) to meet to discuss the options, next steps and best path forward for the planned light rail project.
• According to their February 16 email, FTA is requiring additional information by the end of April (2017) documenting the commitment of at least 30 percent of the non-CIG (non-federal) funding required to enter the Engineering phase. That documentation must clearly identify the amount of non-federal funding committed from a given revenue source and demonstrate no further approvals would be necessary to obtain the funds from that source.
• According to FTA’s pervious email, if the end of April 2017 deadline is not met no further extensions will be given and Durham and Orange counties’ light rail project will automatically be withdrawn from the FTA Project Development process.
• If the project is withdrawn, once updated plans are approved, Durham and Orange counties’ light rail project application can be resubmitted to FTA for consideration, but there will be increased costs associated.
• There are no guarantees that the project would be allowed back into the FTA New Starts process to be considered for a Federal investment of more than $1 Billion in Durham and Orange Counties.
4600 Emperor Blvd, Suite 100, Durham, NC 27703
P.O. Box 13787, RTP, NC 27709